Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Witches


Dahl, Roald (1983). The Witches. New York, New York:Puffin Books.
Honestly, I have never been a fan of Roald Dahl, so when I saw The Witches on the challenged book list I thought it would be a good opportunity to give him another chance. I have to say of all of his works, I did enjoy this one the most. I had a hard time putting it down. It was a pretty engrossing book. Like so many challenged books, I understand where the challenge comes from. In this case the subject of witchcraft and witches might be upsetting to some parents. In addition the level of violence was pretty high for a children's book. However the message of the story is about doing what is right no matter what the personal cost and the unconditional love between the grandmother and the grandson more than make up for the witches and their grotesque appearance. I can understand why kids enjoy his books so much. I think that I may need to go back and give some of his other works another look.

No comments:

Post a Comment