Monday, September 6, 2010

On My Honor


Bauer, Marion Dane (1986). On My Honor. New York, New York: Clarion Books.
It is difficult for me to understand why this book has been challenged. Certainly the subject matter is painful to read. I cannot imagine having to live with the kind of guilt that Joel is going to have to live with. Nor can I imagine as a parent having to watch my child live with the guilt of watching a friend die. The book is really though about making choices and how a wrong choice in the blink of an eye can change lives forever. This is an important thing to start a conversation with kids about. This book is a very quick read. It would be great for a counselor to use for a guidance lesson. It touches on some important issues for kids such as honor and risk taking as well as honesty and trusting one's instincts. I like the way the story was written plainly and in a straightforward way. It served moving the story along better than if there had been a lot of details and frills.

No comments:

Post a Comment