
Riordan, Rick. (2010) The Red Pyramid. New York, New York: Disney Hyperion Books.
I have loved Riordan's work for years. I read his adult mysteries avidly. When I heard that he had written a book for children incorporating Greek Mythology, I could not wait to read it. I was not disappointed. I loved that book and shared it with all the kids I knew. I could not wait for the subsequent books in the Lightning Thief series to come out. So If course I was excited for The Red Pyramid. I have to say that I LOVED the characters and the subtle humor that runs through the book. I like how the story was told in alternating points of view so that it will appeal to boys and girls. My only concern with this book was that there was a lot of information about ancient Egypt. It was hard to keep up with all of it. I am not sure all of i was necessary to move the story forward. I also felt like this book could have been shorter. There seemed to be repetitious scenes where the kids just continued fighting gods or creatures over and over again. I will be curious to see what kids' reactions are to the book. I am hoping that the next book in the series will be an easier read at least for me, because I will have the background knowledge of the Egyptians so it will not need to be repeated. I will always love Rick Riordan. I know he has made a lot of kids (and some adults) readers with his wonderful books.
No comments:
Post a Comment