
Anaya, Rudolfo (1972). Bless Me, Ultima. New York, New York: Grand Central Publishing.
This was a very interesting book on many levels. It is obvious to see why this work would be challenged. There is strong language (although most of that is in Spanish) and adult situations. Probably what would bother the people that feel the need to challenge and ban books is the witchcraft and magic that runs through the book. I think that would those type of people overlook is the love and sacrifice that the characters demonstrate. This book is beautifully written and the characters are wonderful. The use of symbolism was amazing. I did feel like there was some repetition in the situations that Antonio found himself in. I have lived in Texas for the past 23 years. That helped me to better understand the book. I am more familiar with the language and the culture than perhaps other readers would be.
No comments:
Post a Comment