Thursday, September 2, 2010

Love That Dog


Creech, Sharon (2001). Love That Dog. New York, New York: Harper Collins.
I always read this book to my 4th and 5th graders before we start our major poetry unit. Every year I vow that I am not going to cry at the end of the book, and every year I do. I am amazed at the way that Sharon Creech is able to tell an entire story and show the tremendous growth of a character all in what at first may seem to be unrelated poems. I also love the use of the authentic poetry. On their own my students always ask to hear the whole poem and want to hear more poems by those authors. What more could a teacher ask for! Love That Dog also led me to discover Mr. Walter Dean Meyers for myself. I was not familiar with his work. After reading Love That Dog the first time, I was curious and picked up some stuff by Meyers. I Have loved him ever since. At the end of my poetry unit I invite a local poet in to speak. As a thank you gift, I always give him or her a copy of Love That Dog. I Love That Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment