Monday, September 6, 2010

Outrageously Alice


Naylor, Phyllis Reynolds (1997). Outrageously Alice. New York, New York: Atheneum Books for Young Readers.
I have loved all of the Alice books that I have read. I have not had the opportunity to read all of them. After finishing this one, I am going to make it a point to go back and read the ones that I have missed. I love the relationship between Alice, her father and her brother. I think it is great the way that they can talk about anything including sex. I guess that what has caused these books to be challenged. But what could be healthier than an open, honest relationship with ones family? Not having a mother complicates Alice's life, but her friends and family are there to fill in the gap. I have a daughter Alice's age, and I see in Alice some of the struggles that my daughter is going through. Eighth grade is a hard age!

No comments:

Post a Comment