Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Number the Stars


Lowery, Lois (1989). Number the Stars. New York, New York: A Yearling Book.
This is one of those book that I read, and I really try to put myself in the characters' positions. I ask myself, "If that was me, I like to think that I would be brave enough and loving enough to behave the same way that they did, but would I?" I think that we all like to think that given the chance we would act in such a fearless and selfless manner, but the truth is until one is in that situation, it is impossible to know for sure how one would behave. I had the privilege of touring the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC this summer. It is truly humbling to see how most people both victims and bystanders behaved in such a noble way. What I love about this book is that Lois Lowery took such a horrible chapter from history and turned it around. Instead of showing how beastly humans can treat one another she showed how people are willing to take such huge risks for people that they do not even know just because we are all fellow human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment